Thursday, December 16, 2010

EMOTION IN ST. PETERSBURG

DAILY PHOTO - EMOTION IN ST. PETERSBURG
I was about to go into the Salvador Dali museum in St. Petersburg, (the old one, they are building a new one across the street which you can find out about here) when I realized that the sky was incredibly forbidding with rolling clouds and a strong, chilly breeze that carried the smell of humidity. Definitely a storm. I quickly set up my camera, snapped off a few shots, and hurried into the museum as I could feel large drops of water starting to fall. Luckily, those few shots worked and I came away with an image of the raw, forbidding emotion in thunderclouds. 

Here is when it really paid off that I had my camera with me, instead of leaving it in the car. You never know when nature will present you with a beautiful gem. This is why, and I'm being a bit of a hypocrite here, it really pays to have a light, carbon-fiber tripod. Eventually, no matter how much you love your tripod, if it's too heavy, you won't want to carry it around. Although I have a heavy brick that weighs in at about six pounds without the camera attached, do as I say and not as I do. If you can afford it, go with the lighter models. I got lucky that there was a nice place to settle my camera here but that won't always happen. I learned my lesson and I make sure to take my tripod around everywhere now, just in case...

No comments:

Post a Comment